The Bridging Open Work Permits (BOWP, sometimes referred to as a ‘bridging visa’) is a much welcome innovation from Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

In many cases, permanent residence applicants applying from within Canada are on a valid Canadian work permit. The Bridging Open Work Permit was created as a way to keep workers in Canada working while their applications for permanent residency are processed.

IRCC realized that applicants to certain permanent residence programs who had valid work status in Canada — but whose work status may run out before a decision was made on their application for permanent residence — would benefit from a work permit to ‘bridge’ the gap between the expiry of their current work permit and the decision on the application for permanent residence.


Bridging Open Work Permit eligibility

In order to be eligible for a BOWP, applicants must have applied under one of the following programs:

Applicants must also:

  • currently be in Canada,
  • have valid status on a work permit that is due to expire within four months,
  • select “Open Work Permit” as the type of work permit being applied for, and
  • pay the work permit processing fee and the Open Work Permit Holder fee.

If the permanent resident application is not complete, IRCC will refuse the Bridging Open Work Permit application and will not refund the processing fees.

Applicants for immigration to Quebec are not eligible to receive a Bridging Open Work Permit.

Assessment Form: