Children between the ages of 4 and 17 who wish to undertake education in the UK can apply for a visa under the Tier 4 (Child) subcategory. They are not permitted to study at publicly funded schools; they must intend to be educated at fee-paying independent schools. Publicly funded further education colleges may charge international students for their courses.

This subcategory requires a certificate of sponsorship from the educational institution (the sponsor, who assumes liability for the student) that has offered a place to the applicant.

A sponsor can provide a confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) to international students. This counts as 30 points towards the number of points that is required to become a Tier 4 student. A further ten points will be awarded if the student has sufficient money available.

For a Tier 4 application to be considered, a total of 40 points is required.

If successful in their application, children under the age of 16 will be given up to six years’ leave to remain (or the duration of the course), plus four months after the course ends. For children aged 16 or older, the maximum period of leave granted that can be granted is three years and four months.

Suitable care arrangements must be in place for the child’s stay in the UK, as well as travel and meeting arrangements for entry. Legal guardian consent is required regarding the application and care arrangements.

If the child is under 12, they must be escorted to the UK by a legal guardian. They must apply for a special “child at school” visitor visa.

We have a committed team of student visa experts who can gather all the required documents from the school where you wish / your child wishes to study. We can submit Tier 4 visa applications to either the Home Office in the UK or to British Consulates overseas.