Investor Visa, Tier 1 Visas for UK Investors
Like the previous investor route, this category permits individuals into the UK if they have access to enough funds to make a substantial financial investment. The Investor Visa applicant must have the capacity to invest £2,000,000 or more in the UK, if so they do not need to have received a job offer. Despite not being required to have a job, applicants under this category are able to undertake employment if they desire. However, they may not become a doctor in training. Points are awarded to Tier 1 (Investor) applicants based on their ability to invest at least £2,000,000 in the UK.
The applicant must be able to prove using documentation as evidence that they have access to £2,000,000 (disposable and in a financial institution).
This category does not require the applicant to meet the English language and maintenance funds requirements under the points-based system.
Investors under this category are initially given a period of three years and four months leave to stay in the UK. Following this, they can apply for an extension of two years.
Indefinite Leave to Remain
In accordance with their level of investment in the UK, a Tier 1 investor must complete an uninterrupted residence period of two, three or five years in the UK before they are eligible to apply for settlement. During this period, they cannot be outside of the UK for longer than 180 days in any 12-month period.
A Tier 1 investor may apply for indefinite leave to remain (settlement in the UK) after:
- Two years for an investment of £10 million;
- Three years for an investment of £5 million; or
- Five years for an investment of £2 million.
After being settled in the UK for 12 months and after at least five years of continuous residence, an investor can submit an application for naturalisation to obtain UK nationality status.
The family members of Tier 1 investor migrants can submit an application to join their spouse, civil partner, unmarried or same sex partner, or parent (if the applicant is under the age of 18 at the time of application) in the UK. They may also apply for settlement at the same time as the Tier 1 investor. We can also help you to obtain an investor Visa.
APPLICATION/NHS HEALTHCARE SURCHARGE FEES:
- Main Applicant – Home Office Fees: £1,623.00 [£1,623.00 for each Dependant]
- Priority Fee to Expedite Processing of Application within 5 working days: £220.00
- NHS Healthcare Surcharge – £600.00 per person [3 years]
LENGTH OF GRANT:
- Tier 1 Investor Visa; Length of Grant is 3 Years & 4 Months
- A decision will be made within the standard processing timeframe of 30 days; however, this can take longer if there are queries raised by the Home Office:
- (i) Supporting documents need to be verified
- (ii) Need to attend an interview
- (iii) Personal circumstances (eg: criminal conviction checks)
- Must score 85 Points for a successful application
- Points Scoring:
- At least 75 points (Appendix A – Funds/Investment)
- 10 Points (Appendix B –English Language)
APPENDIX A – ACCESS TO FUNDS – 75 POINTS
❖ You have money of your own, under your control of at least £2 million (Must note the currency exchange rate/transaction fee). Must evidence the funds have been in your control for at least 2 years. – 25 POINTS
❖ The money is disposable in the United Kingdom – 25 POINTS
❖ Have opened an account with a UK regulated bank for the purposes of investing not less than £2 million in the UK Can open a UK Bank Account for Investment – 25 POINTS
Source of Funds
If you have not held the funds for 3 consecutive months before the date of the Application, you must also evidence of the source of funds:
▪ Deeds of Sale
▪ Evidence from a Business
▪ Divorce Settlement
▪ Award or Winning
Must provide one of the following four:
❖ Portfolio Report
❖ Documentary Evidence of Holdings – Own Investment/Portfolio/Accountants
❖ Personal Bank Documents (covering 90 days)
❖ Letter from Bank
❖ Certificate of Marriage or Civil Partnership or evidence of 2 years Unmarried/Same-Sex Relationship
❖ Statement from Partner confirming that they will allow you to control the funds in the UK
❖ Letter from a Legal Adviser stating the Declaration is valid
APPENDIX B – ENGLISH LANGUAGE (10 POINTS)
- English Language Test: Passing an approved English language test with at least CEFR level B1 in reading, writing, speaking and listening
- Qualification in English: Having an academic qualification that was taught in English and is recognised by UK NARIC as being equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PHD
- From an English-speaking country (10 POINTS)
Settlement (Indefinite Leave to Remain) in the UK can be accelerated depending on the Investment
▪ Invest £2 million in the UK – can apply for Settlement after 5 years
▪ Invest £5 million in the UK – can apply for Settlement after 3 years
▪ Invest £10 million in the UK – can apply for Settlement after 2 years
British Citizenship time-frame
▪ After 6 years of UK Residency, can apply for Naturalisation as a British Citizen
▪ Upon attaining British Citizenship, can immediately apply for a British Passport
CRIMINAL RECORDS CHECK
❖ You must provide a criminal record certificate from any country you have lived for 12 months or more in the last 10 years:
❖ Certificate of Good Conduct
▪ Who can apply? (i) Individuals in person, (ii) UK Employers (with authorisation) and
(iii) third party representatives (with authorisation).
▪ Where? (i) All Applications in Nigeria must be made in-person at the Central Criminal
Registry (CCR) in Lagos. Posts, e-mails and faxes will not be accepted.
Applicants in the UK should apply through the Nigerian High Commission in London, UK.
▪ What must the applicant supply?
(i) Form available at CCR; to be filled on site;
(ii) enquire beforehand from CCR if additional documents are required;
(iii) Fingerprints to be obtained on site;
(iv) Letter of introduction from prospective employing company (if applicable) and
(v) Valid international passport.
(i) N1,500 (approx. £5.99 (GBP)
▪ Contact Details
(i) Applicants in Nigeria can obtain the form from the CCR:
The Registrar of Criminals
The Nigeria Police Force
Attention: Central Criminal Registry
Federal Investigation and Intelligence Bureau
Alagbon Close, Ikoyi, Lagos, Nigeria
TUBERCULOSIS TEST CERTIFICATE
❖ Applicant and Dependants shall require a TB Test Certificate